In time, tuckpointing, – like bricks and mortar – can deteriorate (like all of us!)
We can restore, repair, tie in new areas to old, make new look old, or even make old look new!
The Federation Tuckpointing® team are often described as artisans for their technical skills applied in this area.
We guarantee our tuckpointing to last for 10 years, and usually lasts much longer. Damp is the main offender in shortening the lifespan of tuckpointing, which is why we usually recommend installing a dampcourse protective membrane.
- The old surface is removed by grinding off the existing tuckpointing. The wall is then washed down to remove all dust.
- Where there are deep joints, mortar is injected by using a caulking gun to create a “flush” joint, in order to achieve the required finish.
- A darker base mortar is then applied and sponged over the original joints.
- The walls are then marked with chalk to identify where the tuckpointing lines will be applied.
- 2 strips of masking tape are applied to the walls in the centre of each joint and an epoxy white mortar is then applied with a trowel over the tape.
- While the mortar is wet, the tape is removed to leave a perfect, thin stripe of 2-4mm depending on the job requirements